|Marcy, Pippa and Kim after recording, |
we are both wearing our Cullum Tees
|We both think Pippa is SO cute!|
What's in our Lesson Plan?
- On the PA system
- Show & Tell
- We are Uber Crafty
- What's on our Black Board?
On the PA System
- We did a quick re introduction for new listeners and reminded everyone that we thoroughly introduced ourselves and interviewed each other in episodes 1 and 2. Also, the segments in the podcast are school themed because Kim is a credentialed teacher.
- It's Tour de Fleece! This spinning event runs concurrent with the Tour de France cycling event. Kim is spinning a lot right now, but not participating in TDF. If you're interested, search for TDF on Ravelry a/o Instagram and I'm certain that you can find a team to join and learn more if you are interested.
- We are participating in the Summer Stripe along CAL (or SSACAL,) with some other podcasters and you can read all about that here. Marcy has been reading through the FO thread and really likes JazzyJava's socks. We thanked Emily, akamilie on Ravelry, for her kind shout out on her fun podcast, AndersMill Knits. Kim has also been watching Simply Stash Less video podcast with Karen and highly recommends it. (The other 2 podcasts that are hosting the SSACAL are Giddy Knits and HudsonValley Knits; we'll talk more about their shows in ep. 34.)
- Stash Dash is still going on and Kim has been consistently posting her FO's. Will she meet her 10K goal by August 22nd?!? We shall see!
- Marcy learned that Habu Textiles is moving their operations to Portland, Oregon, which is excellent news for those of us on the West Coast. What a phenomenal field trip that would be!
***We metion Carson Demers and his new book about knitting ergonomics.
Show & Tell
Marcy finished and gifted the adorable Yemma's Dress that she knit and sewed for a friend's baby. She is continuing to work on the ... A hint of summer top by Isabel Kraemer. The pattern called for German short rows and that was a new technique for her and she really enjoyed using them. This is a striped tee and so it works for the Stripe along CAL. Marcy is almost done with the cute as can be Marian dress by Taiga Hilliard that she is knitting for baby Pippa.
|"Hey, let's get a few pics in our new tops!|
|Wait! We are on the wrong sides!|
|Now that's better!|
Marcy and Kim did an informal KAL with the Cullum Tee by Isabel Kraemer. We both finished our tops and decided to do a thorough post mortem. We will have full notes about each of our sweaters on our Ravelry pattern pages, and a short summation below. Marcy's page and Kim's page.
- How was the PATTERN? We both thought that the pattern was well written and easy to follow. Kim said that she appreciates the detailed shaping on the back, shoulders, and sleeves and she was also very happy to get to the lace and knit in the round.
- How about the YARN? Kim used the yarn that the pattern called for, Quince & Co Sparrow, which is a fingering weight, 100% linen. She had a love, hate, love relationship with it! The #1 thing to know is that this yarn needs management! Hand wind into balls and don't pull too much out at a time. Marcy used KnitPick's Lindy Chain yarn and had a completely different experience with this cotton/linen blend. It was a joy to work with and she bought it on sale and was able to knit the entire top for $15!
- How was the KNITTING experience? Did we make any mods? We both made some mods. Marcy really enjoyed the experience. Overall, Kim didn't love it due to all of the tangling issues with the yarn.
- How's the FO and FIT? The good news is that all that both Marcy and Kim are really happy with their finished tops. It's so interesting how different they look due to the yarn differences. Kim's is bigger, although she knit a smaller size. Yarns vary SO much! Also, blocking does wonders with linen! They said that they would knit it again and also use the yarn again.
Kim reviewed the goals that she had set last time:
- To weave: Nope, no weaving. However... she did BUY yarn to weave with! (F)
- Spin 2 skeins: YES! (A)
- Finish the Cullum Tee: YES! (A)
- Finish the St. Patty Socks: YES! (A)
- Finish the Flutter Sleeve Cardigan: No, but she is working on it... so (C)
|The 2 skeins of handspun that Kim finished.|
On the right is the short forward draw.
Kim also finished a top that she designed. It is still a prototype, because she wants to tweak a few things. She used the now discontinued Cricket yarn which is a 50/50 cotton/linen yarn. She is also swatching for several new tops which she will talk about next time after she decides which one to CO.
No, new goals this time. Kim has decided to take a break with the goals and to just enjoy and play with her yarn! However, in our next podcast we are planning on reviewing our yearly goals and seeing how we are doing so far.
We are Uber Crafty
Kim finished spinning 2 skeins of 2 ply yarn. The 1st was spun short forward draw and the fiber was a huge mix of leftovers from previous spins, but was probably mainly polwarth and silk. The 2nd is fiber that she bought at Stitches West this year and is from Shaky K Fibers. One was BFL top and the other was a blend. She's really happy with the finished skeins and is looking forward to knitting with them (brioche?)
|Spinning by the pool.|
|Some of the newest skeins of hand dyed and over dyed (on the bottom|
She has also been doing a lot of hand dying recently and having a blast playing with color and new dyeing techniques. She's done some immersion dyeing on the stove top in a pot, some solar dyeing in large mason jars and also some over dyeing using both methods and only submerging 1/3 of the skein into the water.
What's on our Black Board?
Marcy has really enjoyed learning a new short row technique for her ...a hint of summer top and so she is going to do a Research Paper on the ever so useful short row. We will review the different types and their applications. In addition, as always we'll be sharing our FO's, new CO's and WIP's.
Thank you for joining us! We hope that your knitting and making are going extremely well and that you are enjoying every moment of your creative life!